“There’s something wonderful and mysterious about how this book uses the moon to connect us to people and places all over the world. Academically, it encourages thinking and learning about both geography and science. A beautiful book for readers young and old.”
-Dr. Mary Hobbs of the Center for Science and Mathematics Education at the University of Texas
“Gorgeous silhouettes against a deep blue, star-spangled sky follow the girl, clad in boots and a dress and sporting a pageboy cut, as she visits the Eiffel Tower, the Trans-Siberian Railway, the Serengeti, the Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, Sequoia National Park, the Great Barrier Reef, the Amazon, and the Arctic and Antarctic. Appropriately, the moon changes phase as the pages turn (the new moon is not represented), though it always appears as it would from the Northern Hemisphere. This just may encourage young readers to look up to the night sky and gain a new friend of their own.”– Kirkus Reviews
Jennifer’s School Reading Includes the following:
- About A Moon of My Own: An imaginative young girl travels the world with her faithful companion, the moon. In her enchanted adventure, she visits all seven continents while the moon goes through its cycle of phases as portrayed in silhouetted art. “Explore More” sections for kids and adults offer information and activities on phases of the moon and other aspects of astronomy and geography.
- Children will get the opportunity to visit all 7 continents and stamp their “passports” as we make our way around the world in this delightful story.
- There will also be a discussion and demonstration of the concepts of lunar phases, plus Moon fun facts!
- Printed fliers, with author and book information and cost of the book ($16.99+ tax) for those who want to purchase a copy.
- After the reading, students will be able to purchase a copy of the book and get it personalized and signed by Jennifer! Allow for approximately 45 minutes for reading/presentation and book purchasing/signing.
- See a list of schools and libraries that have hosted me here: THANK YOU TO ALL THE GREAT SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES THAT HAVE HOSTED ME FOR “A MOON OF MY OWN” READINGS
- The recommended age range for A Moon of My Own is 4-8 yrs. and, as such, the reading would be best suited for Preschool through Second Grade aged children.